Connect with Sean Sheppard: Linkedin Twitter
- Sales should be treated as other professionals and it should be treated as such
- Sales professionals can be incredibly valuable in business, and deserve respect
Be proud of what you do, and treat it with professionalism and pride
- If you can manage your mindset you can manage your success
- 50% of US grads go into Sales, with no training…. ???
- Traditional universities very rarely offer Sales majors … creating a huge skill gap
- Modern Sales is a uniquely American phenomenon, after the industrial revolution, we have to use influence to move people, not force. Our education system needs to catch up.
- In a tech company, “Be close to the code or be close to the cash” Engineering or Sales is where you can make your mark.
- Everything starts with business and marketing acumen, so know your market first
- Train your mind and mindset to be able to quickly size up a company.
- GX Academy Sales and Biz Dev Syllabus available here, Sean goes in to detail:
- How do you apply the Sales funnel to your career?
- Most problems you run into business can be solved with more Sales. Learn Sales and conquer!
- Mindset #1: Customers don’t care about YOUR problems, they care about themselves
- As a Salesperson you have to do your Market research and make sure you’re picking the right company before moving forward, same goes with your career
- Make sure the product you’re getting involved with will sell. Be curious about it. Don’t be desperate for a job. You have to qualify them too.
- Use a Decision framework map. Set yourself up for success. (available at GrowthX)
- You can have a greater impact on an early stage company, but it’s also chaos.
- Employment branding is the same as Marketing. Make sure it’s not a too-good-to-be true situation.
- Try to reach Product Market fit
- There are 26,000 companies in the Bay Area that can hire you.
- Online recruiters are buried in resumes. You don’t try to sell like that, why look for a job like that?
- Seek fit Qualify. 90 day funnell plan with all prospecting plan
- Look at the hunt as a prospecting plan- drive to the numbers!
- Get out, meet people, get involved in the community.
- Examples: Sales Tech Facebook Group
- Sales Development Leadership Forum:
- Sales Hacker Linkedin Group