Sales Development offers career paths people can only dream of in other industries.
Through sheer hard work and determination a great SDR can become a Manager, Sales Rep, Marketer, Product Manager, Recruiter and dozens of other roles. Or stay in the role and benefit the company to no end with endless pipeline.
Ron Nelson has seen that first hand. Listen on this weeks’ podcast on how he took the opportunity to crush his goals with a Sales Development career and turned it to a rocketship. Inspirational!
Join Ron and 500 other Sales Dev pros in two weeks at The Sales Development Conference 2019 August 23rd in San Francisco! Leadership, RevOps, SDRs, Marketers all under one roof:
Big thanks to @Darryl Praill of @VanillaSoft for support of the podcast! Check out their new Sales Engagement solutions here… https://www.vanillasoft.com/solutions/business-function/sales-engagement-platform/
#SDR #BDR #salesdevelopmentrep #salesdevelopment #salesdev19 #sales #marketing
“I really preach the importance of having that AE-SDR relationship. And so defining expectations. And when you have defined expectations and it’s not gray, then everybody can kind of be a little bit more on the same page.”
– Ron Nelson
“Sales development managers need to be in good communication with the AE— and I do as well. We all have to set expectations, and we have to understand that it’s a team sport. So if it’s not working, it’s gotta be, ‘how can we fix it,’ as opposed to, ‘how can you fix it?’ No finger pointing.”
– Ron Nelson
When you’re a sales development leader tasked with building out a sales development program from the ground up, what do you prioritize? What skills should you polish to make sure that everything tuns smoothly?
In this episode of The Sales Development Podcast, we’re talking to Ron Nelson, sales development leader at Information Builders. He’ll tell us the important points of building out that sales development team and making sure everything runs smoothly.
Today’s Guest: Ron Nelson
Ron Nelson is a sales professional who started in the automotive industry. After the recession hit, he started from the bottom up: he worked at a call center while he bartended at night, he then worked as an SDR, and now he’s at Information Builders building out a sales development program from the ground up as a sales development leader, and he’s loving every minute of it.
The episode touches on the following key topics and ideas:
- The 3rd annual Sales Development Conference (00:20)
- David introduces the episode’s guest, Ron Nelson (00:58)
- Ron Nelson, how he got into sales development, and what he’s doing now (02:30)
- What Ron learned from the automotive space that is useful now in the tech space (06:36)
- What Ron would tell someone who has tried everything but nothing seems to work for them (08:20)
- Putting yourself in the buyer’s shoes while building pipeline and setting appointments (11:50)
- What the initial outreach to a potential buyer looks like (13:12)
- Stand out by providing value (15:08)
- What the training program looks like for a new hire (16:00)
- Talking about setting up a solid sales development program to someone who doesn’t understand sales development (17:58)
- From sales reps to sales experts: leveling expectations to maintain the relationship (20:45)
- Having the time of his life building a sales development program from the ground up (24:03)
- Finding the motivation to keep going (26:22)
- The importance of having the right support system (29:45)
- Where to find Ron Nelson (32:10)
List of Resources Mentioned in the Episode
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to listen to more episodes to enrich and accelerate your sales career? Hop on over to Tenbound.com!
Next Episode: https://tenbound.com/podcast/episode-108-steven-broudy/