We are blessed to have one of the most beloved members of the Sales Development community on stage this week, Mr Art Sobczak, author of Smart Calling (a must have book) and entrepreneur extraordinaire.
Art goes deep on his experience with phone prospecting, how he wrote Smart Calling and his ups and downs over the years prospecting and selling over the phone.
If you’ve been a bit call reluctant lately or just bummed out in general due to the lockdowns, listen to this one. Art is the best.
Also, jump in The Tenbound Sales Development Conference here and learn from the best in our industry! Free virtual conference this year. https://tenbound.com/
Get fresh updates each Tuesday (and sometimes on Friday).. subscribe to the Sales Development Newsletter for weekly updates and new SDR research! http://eepurl.com/cPHLsb
#SDR #BDR #salesdevelopment #tenbound #podcast #sales #marketing #salesengagement
“Like a lot of entrepreneurs, I made the leap probably before I was ready, but also like any entrepreneur, as you probably know, you run into some challenges. And those who endure and continue plugging along are the ones that are going to be successful.”
– Art Sobczak
“What I always tell salespeople is that you will always have a job and get paid if you’re a great salesperson—whether you’re working for yourself or for somebody else or looking for a job—because you are the product.”
– Art Sobczak
“one thing we can’t control is what’s going on with the person at the other end of the line. We cannot control that. We can try to influence it, but that one thing we can control is our attitude and the stories that we tell ourselves. And too many people tell themselves bad stories, false stories, and that’s why they think they’re rejected.”
– Art Sobczak
Some people say that selling over the phone is dead. And guess what? They’re wrong. Sure, cold calling is hard, but there’s an easier way to have better conversions and make better numbers over the phone. And you do it by being smart—smart calling.
In this episode of The Sales Development Podcast, we’re talking to phone sales master and Smart Calling: Eliminating the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling author Art Sobczak to walk us through how we can get real good with selling on the phone.
Today’s Guest: Art Sobczak
Art Sobczak is a trainer, speaker, and author of several sales books. A legend in the sales community, he prides himself in the genuine, no-nonsense, zero-gimmick conversation methods he teaches that has helped thousands of sales professionals boost their conversion rates on the phone.
The episode touches on the following key topics and ideas:
- David introduces the episode’s guest, Art Sobczak (00:40)
- Art Sobczak, cold calling, and his wisdom on cold calling (01:32)
- A great salesperson but not a great employee (04:45)
- The fear and hesitation on making the leap into entrepreneurship (06:02)
- Art Sobczak building his career as a salesperson (08:28)
- Adding revenue with cassette training programs and newsletters (09:50)
- There was more money in training (11:48)
- Getting the word out about Art’s products…before there was the internet (13:13)
- Smart Calling framework and the thing about publishers (15:24)
- The difference between dumb calling and smart calling (19:20)
- Balancing the quantity and quality and avoiding analysis paralysis (20:46)
- It’s not rejection, it’s market research (22:52)
- Attaching feelings to the experience and fixing the mindset (24:55)
- What to do when someone tells you to skip the research and just call (27:22)
- Improving conversion rates by improving people (29:30)
- Art Sobczak’s take on voicemails (31:45)
- Gimmicky cold call openings…don’t use them (34:35)
- Whittling down information to just the useful stuff (37:35)
- Where to get a copy of Smart Calling and its companion course (41:33)
- Parting words from Art Sobczak (43:40)
List of Resources Mentioned in the Episode
- Art Sobczak
LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- Business by Phone
- Smart Calling Blog
- Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling by Art Sobczak
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to listen to more episodes to enrich and accelerate your sales career? Hop on over to Tenbound.com!
Next Episode: https://tenbound.com/podcast/episode-171-mark-mcinnes/