Sales Development success usually comes down to how fast you can think on your feet.
Every cold call, every email reply, every chat; you’re on the spot to come up with something that’s going to keep the conversation moving forward.
@Andrew Mewborn with @outreach.io has made this art of improv a study, and now shares those skills with the team at Outreach, showing phenomenal success.
As a matter of fact, the Outreach team won a coveted BEAST Award this year at the Sales Development Conference for outstanding SDR team.
Tune in to learn how YOU can make improv a key skill in your tool box for better performance.
We have some awesome upcoming shows with more Sales Development Thought Leaders… Subscribe here for updates!
A few Live events coming up:
Sales Dev Management Meetup Boston Nov 14th with @OpenView Partners
Sales Dev Manager Training – Boston Nov 14th (same day as Meetup, same place)
Event link to sign up — https://tenbound.com/events/
Need a discount or to convince your boss? Leave a comment and I’ll get with you on it G2 Crowd Reviews right here.
In this episode, David shares the mic with Andrew Mewborn, a solutions consultant at Outreach. Improv has been and is a huge part of sales development especially for SDRs. Tune in as Andrew teaches us the basics of improv, how it can be beneficial for salespeople, and the life skills it instills.
3 Key Points:
- Improv teaches you life skills in general.
- Don’t be scared of failing because failing is success in improv.
- Embrace discomfort.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:17 – Subscribe to our show on YouTube and review us on iTunes
- 00:38 – David introduces Andrew to the show
- 01:44 – Andrew tells us how Improv can be beneficial to salespeople
- Joining an improv class lets you learn life skills in general
- Listening to understand and building on offers
- Pausing rather than responding
- 04:52 – How teamwork plays in improv
- Building on anything that someone is giving you
- For Andrew, “Improv is just a sequence”
- 07:39 – Implementing improv in sales development always starts with the 7 sentence story structure
- 09:00 – Failing is a success in improv
- 10:21 – The key factors in improv mindset
- Say YES, AND to everything
- Making your partner look good
- Accepting failure and getting comfortable in discomfort
- 17:55 – How Andrew and his team setup for improv in Outreach.io
- 21:05 – Getting people together with sticky notes in improv
- 22:01 – Good resources for improv
- 24:25 – Connect with Andrew on his email
- 25:32 – Subscribe to our show on YouTube and review us on iTunes
- 25:39 – Contact us to discuss your sales development needs
- Outreach – Company where Andrew works at
- Saturday Night Live and Hubspot – Resources to learn improv