@John Barrows is known as “Sales trainer to the world’s fastest growing companies” and he proves it every day. He travels the world working with SDRs and Sales Reps at some of the hottest companies on earth to push them to the next level of skill development.
John is someone you need to hear from now, as we enter into the new year. Take responsibility, make your own success and make it happen; these are the tenets John takes us through on this week’s pod. Listen to his story of taking advantage of opportunities and working your tail off for success.
Follow John on Instagram to stay updated on his travels and philosophy on sales and life.
This is a must listen!
Big thanks to @Darryl Praill of @VanillaSoft for making this podcast possible. Check out their new Sales Engagement solutions.
Next Break N Build coming up this week – jump in here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/…
In this episode, David chats with John Barrows. John is a sales trainer for both individuals and teams for the world’s leading companies. Listen as he walks us through how he got started in sales, and eventually becoming the sales entrepreneur he is today. He also shares some tips and tricks on SDR success.
3 Key Points:
- Sometimes the struggle is not in starting, but in capitalizing on opportunity.
- It’s important to know what your priorities and goals are.
- AB Split Test everything you do to hone in what’s working and what’s not.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:17 – Subscribe to our show on YouTube and review us on iTunes
- 00:38 – Engage with leads & close deals! Go to VanillaSoft and start your free trial
- 00:58 – David introduces John to the show
- 02:11 – John started in sales because it was the “default” profession
- 03:51 – Basho Technologies came to him and asked him if he wanted to be a trainer
- John didn’t like sales trainers
- He took the job because of the offer they gave him
- 06:19 – John shares his leap from sales training to becoming an entrepreneur
- The struggle was keeping up and capitalizing on opportunity
- 10:17 – How important mental health is in keeping yourself on track
- 12:23 – David recommends the book The Myth of Multitasking
- 15:43 – Sales should stop inbound lead
- 16:19 – John talks about how he realized he was a problem in his reps’ time management
- Know what your priorities and goals are
- “If you’re not setting goals in your life, somebody is dictating the path”
- 20:29 – “You have to back in what your numbers are”
- Look at your numbers and be analytical
- Set daily goals on what you need to do
- 24:50 – John explains using AB Testing in different industries
- 26:07 – Engage with leads & close deals! Go to VanillaSoft and start your free trial
- 26:56 – Job satisfaction in sales can be bland very fast
- 29:13 – The model of sales is going to change, and it has to
- For John, a frontline marketing person is needed in a sales team
- 33:16 – Making sales development a customer-centric approach
- There’s always going to be the need for outbound but have people own accounts all the way through
- 36:16 – Prospecting is one skill you have to learn to be great at
- Put yourself in the position that you want a business, not need it
- Take responsibility and don’t blame other people
- 40:29 – Connect with John on his website
- 41:43 – Subscribe to our show on YouTube and review us on iTunes
- 41:51 – Contact us to discuss your sales development needs