Thousands of college students graduate each year with massive debt and few transferable job skills.
At the same, thousand of SDR jobs remain hard to fill and fall into “churn ‘n burn” due to misaligned expectations on the part of the candidates.
James Nielsen has set about to change this. By tapping into the ancient practice of mentorship, he’s turned the SDR Recruiting model on its head with his company, Vendition.
Listen in as we discuss how he started with this new approach and the learning he’s done to perfect this program! Employers, candidates and leaders all need to hear what he’s doing.
Also, be sure to check out The Sales Development Conference 2019, August 23rd in San Francisco! Three tracks this year, Leadership, Revenue Operations, and Rep Training. Bring your whole team. Early Bird tickets are almost sold out so grab them before they’re gone too, right here → https://tenbound.com/conference/
Big thanks to Darryl Praill of VanillaSoft for making this podcast possible. Check out their new Sales Engagement solutions here… https://www.vanillasoft.com/solutions…
#SDR #BDR #salesdevelopmentrep #salesdevelopment #prospecting #coldcalling #salesloft #outreach #sales #tenbound #salesforce #salesappointment #revenue #salesops #salesdev19 #marketingops #salesforce #tech #salestech #marketingtech #salestraining #brighttalk #salesenablement #discoverorg #leadgeneration #accountbasedmarketing #abm
In this episode, David interviews James Nielsen, the CEO of Vendition, a Sales Apprenticeship program that gives individuals the training and experience needed to earn entry-level jobs in tech sales. Getting a job as an SDR is definitely harder than most people think and James believes the best way to learn is by doing. Listen as James and David discuss how training and apprenticeship are key in sales development.
3 Key Points:
- The best way to learn how to sell is to actually sell something.
- It’s paramount to use technology in making SDR work efficient and effective.
- Your people need mentorship and support, and that’s exactly what you should be giving them.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:01 – Accelerate your growth at The Sales Development Conference on August 23, 2019
- 00:38 – Engage with leads & close deals! Go to VanillaSoft and start your free trial
- 00:59 – David welcomes James to the show
- 02:16 – James has personal experience of the two problems they solve at Vendition
- And the hardest role to hire for was SDRs
- 04:41 – “The best way to learn how to sell is to actually sell”
- Learn by doing is a key part of sales development in training
- 06:33 – “It’s extremely hard to find people who are interested to become an SDR”
- 08:59 – Vendition works with both internal and external recruiters
- 09:50 – James talks about dealing with very competitive markets
- Even large B2B companies experience challenges finding talents
- 11:15 – The biggest tip in hiring new talents — be honest and be upfront in what they’re getting themselves into
- 13:30 – James believes we are still in the early ages of what sales development is turning into
- Topline revenue is mostly the goal
- 16:56 – Most B2B companies have bigger sales development teams than marketing
- 17:14 – Engage with leads & close deals! Go to VanillaSoft and start your free trial
- 19:52 – James is excited about AI but he doesn’t think AI can replace SDRs
- Use technology to enhance and improve how you operate as an SDR
- This debate of AI replacing people is present in almost all industries
- 23:18 – Humans are better at selling than robots are
- Companies should get their people trained up and not just throw them in the deep end
- Invest in your SDRs — sales training is such a crucial part that gets neglected
- 27:50 – David finds the apprenticeship models very interesting
- James shares their sales apprenticeship program
- People need mentorship and support
- 30:22 – Everyone needs mentorship and that’s a fact
- 31:50 – If you’ve been into sales development, rejection is just off your back
- 32:53 – Do one thing every day that scares you
- Push yourself outside your comfort zone
- 34:08 – Connect with James on LinkedIn
- 34:32 – Subscribe to our show on YouTube and review us on iTunes
- 34:40 – Contact us to discuss your sales development needs
- Vendition – Where James serves as CEO